ABOUT THE FOUNDATION
Forest Foundation Philippines is a non-stock, non-profit, non-governmental organization that provides grants and technical assistance to organizations and individuals that empower the people to protect and conserve forests.
The Philippines is a megadiverse country, yet it is considered a biodiversity hotspot and one of the most vulnerable to the impacts of the climate crisis. Majority of the population is exposed to hazards such as flooding, cyclones, droughts, and landslides, while the adverse impacts on vulnerable groups are amplified by gender inequalities and threats to natural resources.
At this critical time, Forest Foundation Philippines is seeking to strengthen its work related to climate change adaptation, to empower communities towards resilience while ensuring co-benefits for natural resources and healthy ecosystems. In particular, the Foundation aims to help improve climate adaptation planning and practices by enhancing equitable and gender-responsive decision-making, through the adoption of nature-based solutions (NbS) in areas experiencing high climate vulnerability and/or major threats to biodiversity. These NbS will target the three wins of biodiversity conservation, climate adaptation, and ensuring gender equality in natural-resource management.
In order to expand its capacity to support and implement effective and gender-responsive NbS for climate adaptation, the Foundation is calling for applications for a Finance Officer to focus on the program and projects on Nbs for climate adaptation.
Reporting to the supervising officer, the Finance Officer is responsible for the overall finance and budget management of the Foundation’s NbS for climate adaptation work, in accordance with the pertinent program/project documents and the Foundation’s financial guidelines and procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working collaboratively with the supervising officer, the Finance Officer will:
- Support the overall coordination, evaluation, management, and supervision of NbS for climate adaptation program and projects;
- Support in implementing the overall financial work pertaining to the execution of payments, following the Foundation’s Operations Manual, Financial Manual, and Grant Guidelines;
- Prepare, finalize, and ensure timely submission of annual financial plans, progress and financial reports;
- Monitor, analyze, and report project financial performance and progress to the supervising officer by tracking expenditures against the budget and coordinating commitments;
- Coordinate the conduct of the external audit;
- Provide support in reviewing and appraising financial plans of project proposals;
- Prepare all the correspondence related to financial matters, including contracts and bidding procedures for consultants, personnel, NGOs, concerned agencies, and vendors, among others;
- Review financial accomplishment reports of partners and ensure that projects’ financial transactions comply with the Foundation’s financial policies and guidelines;
- Prepare monthly invoices and project financial reports;
- Record all transactions and expenses;
- Update the books of accounts;
- Ensure alignment of program procedures and practices with the Foundation’s established financial systems and processes; and
- Perform tasks assigned by the supervising officer, as needed in the performance of the above.
Duration and Places of Work
The assignment will be for the duration of the project on NbS for climate adaptation. There will be a 6-month probation period, after which a substantive evaluation will be carried out. The individual contract will be reconfirmed annually by the Executive Director.
The assignment will primarily be based in the Foundation’s office in Makati City, with occasional work in project sites.
The Finance Officer will receive a compensation commensurate with qualifications and professional experience. Basic salary will range from PhP 30,000.00 to 35,000.00 (gross) monthly. Benefits will include mandatory government contributions, insurance (life, accident, and health), sick leave conversion, monthly allowance, and clothing allowance.
As an employer, the Foundation offers:
- Clear, engaging, and empowering work assignments
- Dynamic and enabling learning environment
- Transparent and agile performance management
- Collaborative, capable, and sustainable teams and leadership
- Holistic staff well-being initiatives
The Finance Officer must have:
- An undergraduate degree in Financial Management, Accounting, or Commerce. A relevant graduate degree is an advantage;
- Demonstrated experience in accounting, bookkeeping and financial management. Experience in grantmaking and/or in the development sector is an advantage;
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping principles and practices and financial management;
- Knowledge of banking operations and labor taxation laws;
- Basic understanding of gender dynamics in executing duties and responsibilities;
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills to evaluate alternatives and provide recommendations on business issues;
- Proficiency in the use of accounting, word processing, and presentation applications and software;
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines with minimal supervision;
- Ability to adapt to fast-shifting situations while managing complexities and maintaining focus on delivery of requirements; and
- Ability to work in a diverse environment to deal with a wider range of concerns jointly with co-workers and project partners.
- Financial reporting and analysis
- Financial planning, budgeting and forecasting
- Bookkeeping: Use of accounting software & word processing (especially Excel)
- Planning and organizing
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving
Working with others
- Effective Communication
Living out organizational values
- Transparency and accountability
Interested applicants are requested to send an application addressed to Atty. Jose Andres Canivel, Executive Director, through firstname.lastname@example.org on or before February 24, 2024. Indicate “FINANCE OFFICER – Nature-based Solutions for Climate Adaptation” as the subject of the email.
Applicants shall submit the following through email:
- One-page letter of intent;
- Curriculum vitae (3-5 pages only);
- List of at least three character references; and
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted by the Foundation.